As implied by the name, the Indian Head Massage is a form of massage therapy created in India thousands of years ago. It is deep style a massage derived from the Ayurvedic tradition that focuses on the head, shoulders and neck.
Through a variety of different techniques, the massage works to release any blocked negative energy in the body that may be manifesting itself as disease or injury in any one of the seven Chakras (energy centres) of the body. It does so by applying pressure to certain points on the neck, shoulders and head that correspond to each Chakra (which is a similar approach to that of reflexology). This unblocks the Chakras, and allows for a free flow of energy around the body, restoring the individual to optimum health and feelings of wellbeing.
The massage usually goes between 25 – 45 minutes, and may or may not use certain oils in the hair and on the body
It can be done in a sitting down or lying down position.
An Indian Head Massage may prove beneficial by:
• Relieving built up tension that can often result in headaches, migraines, neck and back pain.
• Detoxifying the body by stimulating lymphatic drainage
• Boosting overall immunity
• Improving circulation, which in turn increases energy levels.
• Promoting clarity and increased concentration.
• Soothes symptoms of asthma by calming the respiratory system.
• Relieves Mandibular Joint Tension.
• Increases muscle tone.
• Relieves symptoms of sinusitis.
• Boosts cerebral spinal fluid circulation.
• Relieves sleeplessness, restlessness and insomnia
An Indian Head massage may also improve overall mental health by:
• Relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression
• Providing relief from stress and promotes relaxation
• Improving concentration levels
• Renewing energy levels
• Increasing feelings of peace, calm and wellbeing.
• Boosting memory capabilities
Massage involves working and acting on the body with pressure – structured, unstructured, stationary, or moving – tension, motion, or vibration, done manually